What’s Your Digital Strategy in Training?
What is the secret of success behind any company? Is it business strategy? Is it leadership? Is it the employees? The answer is yes, to all of these things. But behind all of that, the bedrock of any company is training. It is essential to the development of the employee as well as the company. In recent years, there has been a need for training to become more ROI (Return-On-Investment) based. According to Bersin by Deloitte’s annual Corporate Learning Factbook, U.S. businesses spent 10 percent more on corporate training in 2015 than in 2014. Concurrently, corporations around the world have been using technology to their advantage.
A recent trend that has been happening in corporate training is the advent of mobile devices. At this time, there are approximately 600 million more mobile devices on earth than there are human beings. This figure is only expected to grow in the coming years. This is not a surprising figure as there are other factors that are forcing corporates to adapt to new training strategies that not only reduce overhead cost but also produces results. Mobile Learning (MLearning) is a way forward for making that happen.
Mobile Learning is essentially learning that has been conducted via portable devices such as smartphones, tablets and other mobile devices. More importantly, most young people or Millennials as they are commonly referred to are attached to their smart phones on a regular basis. According to Mitek and Zogby Analytics, almost 90 percent of all Millennials have their smartphones with them 24×7 – meaning their phones never left their side, and 80% of them reported they instantly reached for them right when they woke up. A corporate e-learning culture has started to take shape which companies are fully aware of. Therefore, companies have embraced the concept of MLearning for corporate training.
Why Corporations Need Mobile Learning
- Mobile Workplace – Remote and on-the-go work schedules have risen as employees are travelling internationally or working from home. When it comes to training, employees are not learning an iota of what’s being fed to them, especially when it’s jammed into a one-day instructor-led event. The employee doesn’t receive the benefits of understanding or implementing the information. Therefore, it’s important to create learning experiences that are catered to an individual’s needs.
- Flexibility – Mobile devices allow employees to access training materials at any time in any place. Employees who may be using public transport have a lot of ‘down time’ on their hands. They can use that time to access the training material on-the-move. Especially if the employee is using that time to build his/her skill set, it’s worth every second.
- Cuts down costs – Like every business out there, they want to see profits and productivity rise in the company. Training has become ROI conscious with several organizations seeking to reduce overhead. Organizations will no longer have to hire a certified trainer or send a HR representative to travel to the location. They can monitor the employee from their office on their progress via a learning management system. On the same note, there will not be a need for printing expensive training materials as everything will be available online.
- Interactive Engagement – Mobile learning platforms can incorporate interactive videos into their training modules. These bite-sized modules are designed not to overwhelm the employee but rather advance their learning capabilities. There are no time constraints and the employee is more likely to learn more from an interactive experience.
- Better Performance Indicators – In most cases, employee training do not have useful actionable metrics. Mobile learning can prove useful with a better understanding of employee skill sets, prove a pathway for employee growth and provide useful information to the employer themselves. Even more so, it provides a better understanding of an employee’s potential to advance to the highest levels of the company.
- Employee Experience – A happy employee is a productive employee. With employees craving greater flexibility and greater work-life balance, mobile training and other platforms like it offers a path towards it. In their 2015 Internet Trends Report, KPCB found 22 percent of Millennials chose to receive training over flexible hours, cash bonuses and even a company car. Therefore, it’s logical to conclude that employees will be more productive if companies are willing to adapt to their needs.
- Meets New-Skills Need – With every passing year, technology is evolving and changing. In a globally competitive world, businesses need their talent to be at the top of their game. A good mobile training program is needed to train employees effectively to meet global demands and keep up with the latest industry trends.
In 2017, there will be changes all across the world. In order to keep up with those changes, your training program becomes that more important.
List of Sources