7 Habits of STM Publishers
What are STM publishers?
STM stands for Scientific, Technical and Medical and these publishers are trusted partners of the international research community. This falls in the same areas as Educational publishing, Professional publishing, Scholarly as well as Academic publishing.
What does a STM publisher do?
STM publishers contribute and add value to the pursuit, distribution, preservation and usage of scientific discovery and knowledge. In a nutshell, they’re the gatekeepers of everything scientific and other forms of scholarly materials. They allow for the entire world to access information meant for scientific research as well as other forms of research. STM publishers employ over 120,000 people all over the world. It’s not just a niche publishing format but a very lucrative one. Annually, there are over 1.4 million articles waiting to be published. They welcome cooperation with governments, libraries researchers, institutions, service providers and NGO’s. There are many important parts to becoming a STM publisher and the various ways they go about doing it.
- Registration – STM publishers should be committed to registering an author’s precedence and promoting the advancement and contribution of researchers, clinicians, and academics. This could lead to new industries, medical treatments, technological innovations as well as processes that could impact the environment. Essentially, STM publishers should push people who could change the world for the better.
- Certification – A good STM publisher always has a good peer review system. It’s important to maintaining the trust and excellence of science. They have to help establish ethical codes of excellence for scholarly scientific publication. They have to dynamically defend the rights of authors as well as their published scientific record.
- Formalization – One of the main things that STM publishers have to do is to create an author friendly environment. Part of this environment is the creation of workflows which improves the ease and speed of the author. This gives them ample to explore their theories further with the end goal of advancing the boundaries of human understanding.
- Investment in New Technology – As the world is changing, there is definitely a need to invest in new technology as well as the workforce that comes with it. Online accessibility is definitely needed as many people are accessing original research. Such things that need more investment are substantive copying/technical editing, XML coding, visual enhancements and indexing.
- Distribution – STM publishers have to provide global platforms for emerging scientific communities through the sharing of scientific knowledge as well as perspectives on scientific publishing. Therefore, new distribution tools have to indentified and invested in. Things like Podcasts, RSS feeds as well as table of contents alerting services. This is done so has to save author from having to publish their value work on a country by country basis.
- Digitization – Good STM publishers are ones that keep track of all materials, especially those scientific journals that go as far as the 1800s. It’s important to digitize all of these and publish on platforms so that the whole world could access the material. This is all done to maintain preservation of older material for generations to come.
- Circulation – In the age of internet, access to free information is a given. Therefore, STM publishers have to enrich the content with user-friendly navigation, graphics, search, browse to provide instant access to essential research.